Thursday, June 26, 2014

Gobustan, Mud Volcanoes, and Clubbing

Gobustan. Basically history in it's most preserved form. This wasn't just Azerbaijan history anymore, this trip was all about the origins of humankind. Driving out to this barren, desert wasteland, us Arizonians were feeling quite at home. Then the van tilted up, and those of us formerly playing card games and singing in the back became focused on the views that were flying by at 50 miles per hour. 

It was like taking a trip back in time. Besides the building at the top that served as the little museum for this nationally reserved park, no buildings. No signs of life. 




We got out, ruining the eerie silence with our noisy rambling, and trotted towards this museum that gave us a small tour that was probably super informative and interesting. I wasn't really into the whole "walk along and earnestly pay attention and memorize every detail" mood so... I honestly can't tell you a thing I learned in that museum. I do remember it was pretty interactive and had some cool computers that were supposedly intended to virtually color pictures of cavemen, but ain't nobody got time for that. 

There was this cool fish though. 

There was this room with the hieroglyphics deciphered in possible ways 
When I say Gobustan was history, I mean that for miles and miles there are well-preserved mountainous cave drawings. Carvings, scratches, imprints, fossils- this is the place to go if you want ancient history. And although I've never really cared for that ancient of history, this was fascinating seeing in person. With the quiet, the view of the Caspian Sea in the background, and the breeze that made the sun quite tolerable, who wouldn't enjoy this outing? 




After a break to check out the view, take pictures of nearby carvings, and pose off the ledge of this cliff dramatically, we boarded the bus and headed a couple miles to the mud volcanoes. This is what we really wanted to see.

We didn't know what to expect. But then we climbed up this strenuous hill and saw what they meant by "mud volcanoes." You see, these were active.


So, these mini volcanoes were bubbling along with this gray, smooth, and so tempting to touch mud. The strangest part was that when you expected it to be hot, it was quite cool. Apparently, there are spas around Azerbaijan that take this kind of mixture and put it on your skin. When we heard that, we were all over it.

Well... TInley fell in. While trying to clean herself. Half a leg, covered in wet mud. Funny!


Free spa? All over it! Or... its all over me... 

It was leadership training in itself helping one another go up and down these rocky and incredibly unstable hills. We all got super dirty. But it was fun playing with the dried mud chips and splashing with weird textured mud.



Mud covered, tired, and laughing, we had to go back eventually. Except it kind of slipped our minds that we were going to a party tonight. Like, right then. Oops. Worth it!

We made it back to the Caspian Business Center and immediately walked over to this party a couple blocks down the road. We knew there was quite a few other kids from some other program, and they were all waiting for us to arrive. What we didn't know that this was basically a club but without alcohol.

We walked in, cheers erupted, and the well-lit room turned into the classic night-club scene. Neon swirls dancing across our faces, heavy beats of the bass drum vibrating our bones, bodies everywhere- dancing, laughing, singing. Sweating, throbbing, disorientation, this sick feeling creeping up, the Americans slowly dropping out and the Azerbaijanis jamming on.

I had a blast, honestly. But I seemed to be one of the few. Many people were found outside, trying to get fresh air after only half an hour. I really just wanted to continue dancing.

Unfortunately, I had to leave soon. That was a funny story in itself. My family attempted to call me several times, but I could never really hear them no matter where I went, and understanding was a whole different story.

Thank my lucky stars my friend Kamran was willing to take the time to talk to my host sister to give directions to where I was, stayed outside with me until my dad got there, and went to talk to my dad and translated to me that he said "We miss her at home, we love having her."

As the lit-up Baku sped by the quiet car containing myself and my host dad, I really just wanted to keep dancing.







No comments:

Post a Comment