Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Nagorno-Karabakh and the World


Breakfast of the Day: Lavash (which is essentially a tortilla), with an overwhelming amount of butter and that feta-like cheese I was never found of, spread lovingly by my host mother, peach jam, tea, watermelon, cookies, chocolate, and tea cakes.

I'm liking this whole "tea and dessert all the time" thing.

Although we were an hour away and already running late, my host mom (while waiting for their personal driver) showed me her garden in the front and had me help water it. In return, she gave me a rose from her bush and a little cucumber. I put the rose in my hair and her ecstatic grin assured me that was a smart move.

The roads stress me out. I'm not really used to rush-hour, even in America. And rush hour in Azerbaijan is even more interesting. I was half an hour late (they kind of believe in the whole "island time" concept there, which was hard for my very prompt side to accept), but when I arrived at the Caspian Business Center I was greeted by hugs and cheek kisses. We also discovered a caterpillar in my flower.

The group of Americans, and a couple Azerbaijani YLPers (the program), were boarded onto a bus and shipped off to a professional discussion by the Imagine Dialogue representatives on the Nagorno-Karabakh issue between Azerbaijan and Armenia. Quick overview: This is a section of Azerbaijan, but it is presently occupied by Armenia. In 1994, there was a war over this territory, and although there has been a cease-fire for about 20 years, no conclusions have been met and it still remains to be closed off to Azerbaijanis. In the Organization of Islamic Conference in 2008, Armenia was charged with the "destruction of cultural monuments in the occupied Azerbaijani territories," but no real offense or follow-up actions were taken. The ceasefire continues to this day to be broken, and overall, feelings towards the Armenians in Azerbaijan are extremely negative, since Azerbaijanis cannot go into 20% of their territory.


Photo from: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh#Contemporary_situation_.28since_1994.29>

We were never told the reason we learned about this, but I took away so many thoughts from these meetings. First, it makes me wonder what Armenia's side to it is. Why are they causing such a big deal over this piece of country land? Armenia, as a whole, must have bad feelings towards Azerbaijan too, but what exactly are their reasons? Also, this dispute has ruined so many lives, yet I had never even heard of the country Azerbaijan back home. How closed off from the worldly occurrences are we? What are solutions that can satisfy both countries? How do you break the barrier that present generations are being raised with, this hatred for another country.

To me, it seemed a bit silly that so much dislike for Armenia had been built up, even by people completely unaffected by the war. But then I thought of the Cold War and the Red Scare. The problems with illegal immigration, the Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese internment, general racism, and all these other rather stupid things America has been involved in.

Why are humans so inclined to put up walls against others, just because of cultural background? As the Avenue Q song goes, "everyone's a little bit racist," which, undeniably, is true. We all have our moments where we think prejudice thoughts, and there really isn't anything we can do about these natural tendencies. But to act upon them, to not be able to reason through the ridiculousness of judging based on genetics, that's a serious problem that destroys the potential for any sort of worldly cooperation.

I think that the root of racism is ignorance. Ignorant parents teaching their children opinions on a race they don't know hardly anything about. But if we could educate these kids (I'd say their parents too, but kids generally have more open minds) on the struggles other parts of the world are having, have them correspond with foreign schools, educating students on what is actually happening in the world, eliminating these ideas that one way of thinking is better than another, that any religion outside of their own is stupid, that some people are above others- simple steps, really. It's so easy to open the eyes of kids who just haven't been given the chance to see the world for what it is. And who doesn't want increased understanding?

I



No comments:

Post a Comment