Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Continuing with the contest


knew it was a slim chance. Besides, how was I supposed to convince my mother about letting me go to a country across the world? And let's just be honest here, the location to closed-minded Americans such as the majority of conservative Mesa, where I'm from, isn't ideal. In Eurasia instantly means it's war-torn and dangerous, apparently. 

Before I even began to work through my argument, I checked out the website. Trying to catch my hopes before they shot through the roof, I started filling out the entry form. I wouldnt send it without permission, of course, however I wanted to see how much I had a chance of being selected, based on how well I thought I answered. Several short essays, questionaires, and of course, personal contact requirements later, I reached the 'Enter' button on the screen. 

With a deep breath, I approached my mom who was making dinner and absent mindingly watching television as she went. 

"Mom, can I enter a contest to go to Azerbaijan?"

No point in beating around the bush. The question out, I watched her intently, trying my best to look sincere and hopeful. 

"Sure, go ahead."

Not what I was expecting. I was braced for a harsh 'no', or even just a huge bout of questions. I explained what the contest was, that I was pretty sure it was free (for I still was wondering if there was hidden costs or something), and I also told her that I had a small chance of making it, since I was sure there would be tons of applicants. 

I could tell she didnt put much investment into her answer, and I knew it was because she thought the chances were small that I would make it. I mean, we didnt know what I was up against: A huge crowd of excellent writers? Tons of much more successful teens who were actively involved in the community, which I, admittedly, was not? No matter, I pressed the 'Enter' button on my screen and that was that. I wouldnt be recieving information for a couple months, so I put the whole contest in the back of my mind, and slowly, I began to forget about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment