Friday, June 28, 2013

The Semi-Finalist Meeting


Like a trooper, my mom drove me to an unfamiliar campus as the sun was setting, and said she'd wait outside the room during the meeting. I entered the conference room, seeing other teenagers probably feeling exactly as I did. Knowing this trip was dedicated to the ideas of leadership, I correctly assumed that these kids would not be intimidated by my instant "hello" and smile, and I sat next to the two closest to the door. 

As the rest of semi-finalists showed up, about 20 in all, the program instructors explained that during this meeting, all of us would be judged for our leadership abilities. They didnt pretend that it was going to be a relaxed experience we didnt need to worry about, and I felt myself shift so my nametag was displayed clearly. 

So we entered the presenting part. We introduced ourselves, and I felt a rush of excitment when I was able to make them all laugh with a little comment as I introduced myself, remembering to go slow, as I have a habit of talking super fast. 

This was a new experience for me. Not going to lie, I was, and still am, a rather shy person. Its always been hard for me to express myself, and crowds of four or more made me nervous. Before I forced myself to get out there and be outgoing, I blushed every time I presented anything. Even saying my name on the first day of school (yes, something that simple) made my face go an awful cherry-red color. I shake, I sweat, and I stutter, but as I entered this, I became a new person. I was not going to let stage fright come between me and an opportunity to go across the world for free. 

The rest of the night, my transformation continued. We were split into groups and given scenarios we were supposed to come up with solutions to, and then one group member was asked to present these ideas. Twice, out of the four times, I presented in my group, and that by itself was a good way of putting myself out there. This was the first time I spoke in front of a crowd (of about 30 people) without blushing and without stuttering. By the end of the night, I was feeling good about that day, and left with a new determination I had never experienced. 

I had a new dream, and I was determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment