Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Results


Well, the possibility of the Azerbaijan trip was pushed behind the school work, marching band competitions, and friends I was involved in. Not that I forgot about it- As much as I didn't want to get too excited, honestly expecting failure, I dreamed about flying for hours and entering a new land, so culturally different that it'd be like I was in a different world. Maybe I was under the influence of Harry Potter, Thor, and other movies or books where there was completely separate worlds. I love the idea that there are so many places that I can't fathom- so many people to meet, so many ideas to hear, and so many new things to try. When you think about how big the world is, and how little the average person is able to discover, there's a world of possibilities that made me giddy with the prospect that I could start my personal discovery of the world this year.

Out of the compulsive habit I had created within the past couple months, I checked my email one afternoon after school, like I had all the other afternoons. And my heart skipped a beat when I saw an email from the program. Without preparing myself mentally, I clicked on the email and devoured the contents, hardly being able to read fast enough. 

I was a semi-finalist. 

Half not expecting it, half already bouncing off the walls, I ran to my mom and told her. A little spark caught in her eyes, and a note of surprise was in her voice when she congratulated me. However, she didn't complain when I told her she needed to take me to a college half an hour away, and when I said I had to have a phone interview as well. 

That night I went to bed with nothing but excitement and nervousness- this is when the competition became more fierce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment